A very easy recipe, perfect for this time of the year!
Needless to say, no dairy was used in the making of this recipe. In fact, you can even skip the cheese and just add some nutritional yeast, that’d make a yummy soup or sauce. It will still be creamy and delicious, slightly sweet thanks to the pumpkin.
- 3 heaped tbsp of margarine
- 3 heaped tbsp of white all purpose flour
- 500 ml of unsweetened soy milk (or your favourite plant milk)
- 1 small pumpkin or squash
- 200 g of shredded vegan cheese (we used Sheese’s shredded cheddar)
- 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2-3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- Other herbs and spices to taste
- Bake or steam the chopped peeled pumpkin until soft.
- Melt the margarine in a sauce pan on medium heat. Add the flour and mix them well until they become a paste.
- Start adding the milk very slowly. Just add a splash while you keep mixing to avoid lumps. It will slowly become a homogeneous paste. Keep incorporating milk until you get a creamy white sauce.
- Add the shredded cheese to the white sauce and stir until it melts.
- Now use a hand blender to blend the pumpkin with the white sauce.
- Once smooth, add the seasoning to your taste!
We topped it up with some soy sauce pumpkin seeds to give it a bit of texture. Yum!
Photography by Jose Guerra